Every credit card company offers different benefits. However with a travel insurance plan, there is simplicity to what coverages are available.
If you do not want a travel insurance plan because you think your credit card – or homeowners, auto, or health insurance – provides enough travel-related protection, it’s wise for you to contact each company, read the fine print, and plan ahead in case of emergency.
Many credit card companies only cover expenses purchased with your card, and the coverage could be lower than coverage available from a respected travel insurance company. Even traditional insurance companies may stop or limit coverage once you leave the United States.
Find the answers to these questions:
What is the maximum trip cost limit? Is it enough for my trip?
Is emergency medical/dental and evacuation covered with no deductible?
- Is the amount of emergency medical/dental and evacuation coverage enough for my trip?
- Is trip cancellation and interruption included? What are the covered reasons to cancel or interrupt my trip?
- Does my credit card insurance extend to my traveling companions? For instance, can children be included at no additional cost when traveling with an insured adult?
- If I become injured or ill while traveling, can I be transported to the nearest hospital of my choice?
- Are pre-existing medical conditions covered?
- If my trip is delayed, can extra expenses like hotel stays, meals and taxi fares be reimbursed?
- If my luggage is lost or stolen, can I be reimbursed?
- What if my luggage doesn’t arrive when I do? Can I be reimbursed for essential personal items to help me enjoy my trip?
A travel agent, such as The Splendid Traveler, can help identify an insurance policy that fits your needs and travels.
Have questions about insurance – or any other travel-related topic? Get in touch, and we can discuss the options!